I do the following steps when digitizing a network:
- Take a scan of the drawing and open it in paint
- Use Excel to note down all nodes and relations. I have predefined the link types and have dropdown selections in the respective column in my worksheet. Cross out a relation in the scan when it is entered in Excel. In 30 minutes, I can enter about 40 relations.
- Switch to Cytoscape and import the Excel as a new network
- Classify all nodes as Person or Institution. In 10 min, I can classify about 35 nodes.
- Export network as GraphML.